As US President Donald J. Trump approached the end of his first year in office, members of the NATO Parliamentary Assembly gathered in Washington, D.C. for the 17th Transatlantic Parliamentary Forum from 11 to 13 December 2017.
The members of the Assembly, current and former US officials as well as independent experts engaged in extensive discussions on the following topics:
- US grand strategy
- developments in Russian international and domestic policies
- the United States and the way forward for the Alliance
- developments in the Middle East
- China and the world
- the challenge of North Korea
- US trade policies
- US energy and environmental policies
- the digital revolution, social media and politics
The meetings were organised together with the National Defense University and the Atlantic Council of the United States. They were conducted under the Chatham House Rule. This document accordingly highlights the key themes of the discussions without attribution.